Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Other People's Customers are Jerks, Too!

As Layla (a blogger friend I've acquired) would quote Eliane (of Seinfeld) in saying, "I'm the QUEEN of confrontation!" (Or did Seinfeld say that of Elaine? Help me out, Layla.)

Apparently I love confronting rude behavior so much, I am now seeking opportunities in society to confront OTHER people's customers. I don't know why I haven't thought of this before! I can say whatever I want to whomever I want, AND I don't have to worry about poorly reflecting my company.

I came to this delightful realization at the post office the other day, when I was waiting patiently to weigh and send my envelope. The man in front of me asked for a label to put on his envelope. The post woman said, "I'm sorry, Sir. I can give you a pen to write directly on your envelope, but I can't give you a label. The post office is making a lot of price cuts to keep postage as low as possible."

I thought: That is nice. I'm sick of postage going up. I'm glad they are doing all they can to keep it down. But the man in front of me said, "Well. You're really cheap, aren't you? I think that's really cheap of you to not give me a label. I've been getting labels at the post office for years."

The post woman said, "I'm sorry sir, but it's a mandate from the top. I can't give you a label, but I would be happy to lend you a pen to write directly on the envelope." (We all have to pause here and wonder: Who puts labels on their envelopes?)

I was visibly rolling my eyes and groaning at this point, hoping to make enough noise that he would turn around. But when he continued on, I interrupted.

"Excuse me, sir," I said. "She is not cheap. She is working for a company that is cutting costs." I said this before he even turned around, which he eventually did. He looked at me like I was crazy, even though he was the one asking for a label to put on an envelope.

"Did you say something?"

"Yes. She is not cheap. She is working for the government, and the government doesn't want to give you any more free labels."

This is when the gentleman glanced down... not to look at my chest (which would have been further reason to put him in his place), but to look at my name tag.

Joy Neal
Guest Services
Staybridge Suites Hotel

So the moral of the story is, if you don't want to reflect your company while out in public, take your name tag off.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. seinfeld said that to elaine. but it's perfect the way it is. its much better to imagine you, stating the obvious, than to imagine the post office lady proclaiming your status as queen. i don't think she could have said it with as much.. gusto.

have you ever considered turning your life into a reality show? it would be the first i'd watch ;) too funny.

Joy said...

Believe me, you'd be bored to tears watching me in a reality show.

b l a h said...

i may be one of the most non-confrontational people you have ever met. i just live vicariously through people like you :)

Anonymous said...

fantastic! youare my new hero. i could never do that. haha.

nick

Laura_Ashley said...

Oh Joy. I could actually visualize/hear this conversation and it brought a smile to my face. I do the same thing. It's nice to know that I have a kindred spirit out there. I'll have to tell you about my encounter with a physician at my current job. But that's for another day, I've already written one scathing blog for the week. I think I'll sit this one out. Haha. Talk to you soon.